Football's authorities are set to investigate the behaviour of Newcastle United
supporters for their overzealous celebrations following their stoppage-time equaliser against Bournemouth on Saturday.
Dorset Police arrested seven supporters - including a 14-year-old, who was later believed to be released - for encroaching on the Vitality Stadium pitch.
One steward suffered a broken nose during the fracas after Matt Ritchie's strike in the fourth minute of added time against his former club.
A Dorset Police spokesperson said: 'Seven supporters were arrested at the Vitality Stadium today, Saturday March 16, 2019, during AFC Bournemouth's home game against Newcastle United following a pitch encroachment.
'Six men and a 14-year-old boy were arrested on suspicion of going onto the playing area of a football match from the away supporters' stand and are assisting officers with their inquiries.
'One female steward sustained an injury to her nose during the incident and investigations are underway to establish whether any assault took place.'
It comes a day after the FA, Premier League and EFL strongly condemned supporters who enter the field of play, following the incident involving Aston Villa's Jack Grealish.
In a joint-statement, the three governing bodies promised the 'strongest possible sanctions' for any spectators found guilty of leaving the stands.
Grealish was punched from behind by a fan during their Championship clash with Aston Villa last week. Supporter Paul Mitchell invaded the pitch to attack the Birmingham player and was jailed for 14 weeks after admitting assault.
Asked about the Newcastle fans afterwards, manager Rafa Benitez said: 'I was not watching that, I was more concerned about what was going on during the game.
'It was some situation that we were not happy with. You have to stay calm and just celebrate.'
Meanwhile, South Wales Police announced that three male youths remained in custody following two separate incidents for encroachment onto the pitch during the Swansea's 3-2 defeat to Manchester City at the Liberty Stadium.
In a statement, police match commander Superintendent Steve Jones said: 'The safety of supporters, players, officials and those who work these games is paramount.
'Those who invade the playing area are committing a criminal offence, will be dealt with robustly and could face lengthy bans from all football matches. We will continue to work with the football club to prevent and deter this unacceptable behaviour from a very small minority continuing.'
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said: 'It's happened a few times lately and it's a worry because in the future we could have problems.
'It's not nice but thankfully nothing happened this time.'