Former US cop lodges appeal over Justine Ruszczyk shooting

The former US policeman convicted over the shooting death of Sydney woman Justine Ruszczyk has lodged an appeal.
Mohamed Noor was sentenced to more than 12 years in jail in June over the death of Ms Ruszczyk, who was shot after calling 911 to report a possible rape near her Minneapolis home in July 2017.
The former Minneapolis police officer was convicted of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in April.


Noor's legal team has listed four issues, including that the jury were not properly instructed on what constituted third-degree murder.
'The issue on appeal is whether the district court erred by limiting Mr Noor's right to present a complete defence, allowing the State of Minnesota to engage in prosecutorial misconduct, improperly instructing the jury on murder in the third degree and allowing charges to go to the jury which were not supported by probable cause,' Noor's lawyers Thomas Plunkett and Peter Wold wrote in the appeal lodged in Minnesota's Court of Appeals.
Ms Ruszczyk called 911 the night of July 15, 2017, to report a possible sexual assault in an alley behind her house.
Officers Matthew Harrity and Noor were dispatched to the scene and arrived at 11.37pm.
Prosecutors said Noor was sitting in the passenger seat, pulled out his gun and shot across the vehicle to hit the unarmed Ms Ruszczyk, who was outside the driver's side door.

Noor admitted shooting Ms Ruszczyk but claimed he did so in fear he and his partner were being ambushed.
He apologised to the Australian's family in court ahead of his sentencing.
'I've lived with this and will continue to live with this,' he told the court in June.
'It is my burden. I wish I could relieve that burden others feel of the (loss) I've caused.
'I will think of Ms Ruszczyk and her family forever.'
Noor, 33, had been in Minnesota's Oak Park Heights prison near his family and friends, but last week was transferred to a facility 720km away in North Dakota.
Ms Ruszczyk's family filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis and received $US20 million ($A28.44 million) just days after the guilty verdicts.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019
Comment

No comments found