RFEF opens investigation into Barcelona's pursuit of Antoine Griezmann

The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has announced it has launched an investigation into Barcelona
's pursuit of Antoine Griezmann
.
The Frenchman moved to the Nou Camp earlier this summer for a £108million fee, signing a lucrative five-year contract with the La Liga
champions. 
However, Atletico
are claiming they are owed a further £72m from the transfer of their star man. It is alleged that negotiations between Griezmann and the Catalan club first took place before his release clause lowered significantly.
Griezmann signed a new five-year contract at Atletico last summer and that included a release clause of £180m (€200m). That fee lowered on July 1 to £108m, the price Barcelona eventually paid.
Atletico chose to report their rivals to the Spanish footballing authorities, asking them to have a thorough look through the negotiations.
There has been no official word from the RFEF on the intricacies of their investigation. 
Last week Atletico released a club statement which read: 'Atletico Madrid believes that the amount deposited £108m (€120m) is insufficient to meet his rescission clause, since it's obvious that the commitment of the player and Barcelona was closed before the aforementioned clause was reduced from £180m (€200m) to £108m (€120m).
'Atletico Madrid believes the termination of the contract occurred before the end of last season due to events, acts and demonstrations carried out by the player and that is why we've already started procedures considered appropriate to defend our rights and legitimate interests.'
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has denied breaking any rules and insists there is no proof of any wrongdoing. 
He recently said: 'I have spoken to them, but I do not think there is any proof, because there is no evidence of anything.
'I understand everyone defends their interests and I've spoken to [Enrique] Cerezo [Atletico president], but I don't see that the case can evolve in a positive way for them. There's nothing.
'We contacted Griezmann after he made the video saying goodbye to the fans, there was nothing in March.'
Griezmann's lawyer, Sevan Karian, also revealed the World Cup winner is opposed to the way his former club have responded since the move was confirmed.
'Antoine is very disappointed with the attitude shown by Atletico and the club's hierarchy,' he told L'Equipe.
'They are acting in bad faith and are communicating the opposite of what they told him in person.
'But let them do as they see fit, we will do the same if necessary. For the moment, for (Griezmann), he only wants to think about this new chapter in his career.
'He wants to celebrate this weekend by discovering his new home.' 
Comment

No comments found