Six dead in pro-Subianto Jakarta protests

Six people have died and at least 200 have been injured in civil unrest in Indonesian capital Jakarta, governor Anies Baswedan says, after the election commission confirmed President Joko Widodo had won last month's vote.
Supporters of unsuccessful presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto have clashed with security forces since Tuesday, setting fire to a Jakarta police dormitory, attempting to force their way into the offices of the election supervisory agency and burning vehicles.
'As per 9am, there were 200 people hurt being brought to five hospitals,' governor Anies told broadcaster TVOne.
'The number of people dead was six.'
National Police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said protests turned violent late Tuesday and continued during the night, with more than 20 detained.
On Wednesday, protesters and security forces continued to face off, with police deploying tear gas and rubber bullets.
Indonesia's Election Commission on Tuesday said Jokowi had won a second term with 55.5 per cent of the vote in the April 17 election.
His opponent, former general Subianto, has refused to accept the result on grounds of fraud and declared himself the victor. His campaign plans to challenge the election in the Constitutional Court.
Jakarta police spokesman Argo Yuwono said police used tear gas and a water cannon against protesters who threw rocks, molotov cocktails and projectiles.
The government had deployed some 50,000 police and soldiers in Jakarta in anticipation of protests, Yuwono said. Many residents have left the city and parts of the downtown are closed to traffic.
In the past week, authorities have arrested three pro-Subianto activists on suspicion of treason, Prasetyo said, including a retired general and former commander of Indonesia's special forces.
Police allege there was a plot to seize crucial government buildings in Jakarta.
© AAP 2019
Comment

No comments found