A strong typhoon has torn through the northern tip of the Philippines packing winds of more than 200km/h along with torrential rain, killing three people and causing floods, landslides and power outages.
Mangkhut entered the Philippines as a super typhoon in the early hours of Saturday, and sent winds and rains across the entire main island of Luzon, home to about half the country's 105 million people.
Known locally as Ompong, Typhoon Mangkhut at one point had maximum gusts of 305km/h before it exited the land area before noon and moved towards southern China and Vietnam with reduced wind speeds of 170km/h.
Two rescue workers were killed while trying to free people trapped in a landslide in the mountainous Cordillera region, said Ricardo Jalad, head of the nation's disaster agency.
No further details were provided. Police also said a body had been found in a river in Manila.
Philippine state weather agency PAGASA downgraded the domestic threat level, but warned the danger was far from over, with continued storm surges and heavy rains that could trigger floods and more landslides.
'We are asking the people to remain alert and continue taking precautions,' said PAGASA meteorologist Rene Paciente.
Rapid response teams were on stand by with the air force for search and rescue missions as authorities undertook damage assessments in areas in the path of the storm, which felled trees, electricity poles and tore off shop signs and sheet metal roofs hundreds of kilometres away.
There was flooding in several provinces and parts of the capital Manila.
Authorities were preparing to release water from several dams, fearing constant rains could push reservoirs to dangerously high levels.
Mangkhut had been a category 5 storm for days since wreaking havoc in US Pacific territories of Micronesia before edging towards the Philippines, where it is the 15th and strongest storm this year.
Some 105,000 people were staying in temporary shelters after mass evacuation of coastal areas following major storm surge warnings.
Rogelio Sending, a government official in Cagayan said there were province-wide power and communication outages and reports of uprooted trees blocking roads.
'This makes the clearing operations really difficult,' he said by phone.
The Philippines is still haunted by the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan, which killed more than 6,300 people in central areas of the country in 2013, most due to huge storm surges.
But authorities say they were better prepared this time in terms of evacuating and informing high-risk communities.
'I talked to the president last night. His clear and concise marching order was 'Save lives, save lives,'' said Francis Tolentino, the government's disaster response coordinator and adviser to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.